My ex-spouse has threatened to move away with the children. Could he/she actually move away without my knowing?

Oklahoma child custody laws require that a custodial parent who is planning to move must always give a 60 day written notice to the noncustodial parent.  This notice must state the parent’s intent to relocate, the new location, the date of relocation, and a statement stating the other party may oppose within 30 days.  If the noncustodial parent opposes the relocation, then the court will look at several factors such as the motive of relocating, whether the move will enhance the quality of the life of the child, and the age and needs of the child.  The relocating parent must show that the move is in good faith.  This helps prevent a parent that wants to move just to spite the noncustodial parent.  In this case, they will not be able to show the move is in the best interest of the child.  However, if the relocation is legitimately for work-related reasons, the moving parent would most likely not have a problem with the move.

Keenan Haught
Connect with me