How do I get out of Jail after an arrest in Oklahoma?

How do I get out of Jail after an Arrest in Oklahoma?

 TOP TIP: If you know or suspect you might be arrested, retain an attorney.  Many times the criminal defense attorney can negotiate a reduced bond or an "OR" bond so that you can utilize that money to hire a criminal defense lawyer rather than paying a bail bondsman.

After requesting a lawyer, your next step after an arrest should be to get out of jail as quickly as possible. Generally, your bail amount will be set by the judge and you have several available methods for getting out of jail:

  • Post a cash bond – Pay the bond yourself to ensure that you meet all court appearances. If you successfully appear for all court dates, your bond will be returned to you at the end of your case. If you fail to appear, you forfeit your bond and may be required to return to jail pending the resolution of your case.
  • Hire a bail bondsman – A bail bondsman may post bond for you in return for a percentage of the bond amount. At the end of your case, the bond will be returned to the bondsman and you forfeit the amount paid to the bondsman. If you ever fail to appear for your court dates, the bondsman will send a bounty hunter to find you and return you to jail
  • Be released on an Own Recognizance Bond – If a jail is at capacity, you have been arrested on a complaint of a minor offense, and/or you have no history of failure to appear, a booking officer may release you on your own recognizance. In this case, you do not have to post a cash bond, but you may be returned to jail or be required to pay a significant bond if you fail to appear.

In the most serious cases, a judge may order a defendant to be held without bond. In other cases, your defense attorney may be able to successfully motion for a reduced bond amount.

If you need an Oklahoma criminal defense attorney to help get you or a loved one out of jail, contact us today or call 405-542-2529 (542-CLAW).  Read more about our team, or continue reading and researching our free legal information library, or enter live chat.